I love this time of year- strawberries are in season and are so affordable!
For years, I bought extra strawberries when they were on sale and froze them whole.
Much to my dismay, the result was mushy, squishy, and less than desirable berries!
Several years ago, an elderly friend shared with me the following method for freezing strawberries… the results are delicious!
These strawberries make a delicious topping for homemade ice cream or pound cake, a yummy addition to smoothies, or you can just enjoy them by themselves.
These are SO much better than store-bought frozen or canned strawberries.
To freeze delicious, just-like-fresh strawberries…
- Wash strawberries and remove tops.
- Slice or quarter berries and place them in a bowl.
- For each pint of strawberries you’ll need 1/2 cup sugar (I like to use organic raw sugar).
- Add sugar and stir; sprinkle about 2 TBSP water over strawberries and stir again.
- Allow strawberries to sit about 10 minutes until they make their own juice.
- Place strawberries into freezer-safe bags or containers and freeze.
- These will keep in the freezer for months!
Check out my other freezer tips for storing and preserving whole foods—->